Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Benjamin Stories

Benjamin has been really tickling me lately with the things he tells me. I've been having fun typing them out and emailing them to Dave the last week or two. I couldn't resist copying them to the blog to preserve them. (Sorry, no picture included!)



I went to take a shower while Anna was still napping. I asked Benjamin, like I always do, if he wanted to get a toy and play in the bathroom with me or stay in the living room. He pretty much always picks coming with me, so I was surprised when he said he wanted to stay in the living room and read his Bible. When I came out into the living room, I was tickled that he was still reading his Bible. When he saw me he said, "I'm looking at this page, Momma." I asked him, "What story is that?" His response: "I opened my Bible to read a story and I just got carried away Momma and I read the WHOLE Bible!"



Benjamin: "Look Momma. Look at what Anna put in here." (showing me the box/house they've been playing with)
Me: "What is it? I can't see it."
Benjamin: (Tips box over so I can see it) "Look, she put her bowl in here."
Me: "Oops, she's not supposed to do that. Can you put it on the counter for me?"
Benjamin: "Yes, I can." (While squinting his eyes and making a very serious look) "I'm keeping my eyes on Anna. I'm keeping my eyes on her!"



I was praising Benjamin for eating all of his lunch. While we were talking, I told him he was going to get big and strong like Daddy, before we know it. He tickled me so much with his response. He said, "I will! And Anna will get big and strong just like you (me) before we know it!" I was so surprised he knew to attribute Anna's future height to mine and not Dave's!



We were getting ready to go to open gym (a play time they have for preschoolers at a gymnastics center). I called my friend and she and her son, Maddux were going to come too. While we were on the phone, we let the boys talk to each other. Maddux couldn't say Benjamin when we first started hanging out together and instead called him BenBen. For some reason this used to really bother Benjamin. When Benjamin was getting his shoes on later, he randomly said to me"Maddux called me BenBen on the phone and I didn't tell him it's Ben-ja-min. I didn't get mad at all, I was just happy!" I thought this was funny b/c he's been having some issues with not always being nice to his friends at school, so the night before we had a long talk about that and about expressing our feelings and such. Fingers crossed he's nice to everyone tomorrow!


Then on the way home from open gym he started telling me a story about a girl and that she was running b/c she said (or Benjamin said, not really sure) there was a coyote. So then he tells me, "So I ran really fast. Faster and faster and super fast! I can run so fast because God made me special." Of course my immediate response in my head is pure pride that he's understanding how God made him special and that he's blessed and can run and do special things. Then he follows it with, "I can run so fast. Nobody can run as fast as I can." I felt bad, but I started laughing b/c I had never heard him talk like that before. So he asked me, "Right? I can run faster than everyone?" Not wanting to lie to him, I said " I think there might be some people who can run fast like you." He immediately asked me in the most shocked voice, "Who, Momma?" I started laughing again b/c he was so surprised by what I said. So then I said, "well I think maybe Daddy can run fast like you." He said, "Really? Daddy can run as fast as me?" Since he was so shocked, I suggested we call Daddy and ask him. I told Dave what was going on and when Benjamin asked him, Dave said "We should race when we get home." Benjamin didn't say anything, he just hung up the cell phone, so Dave joked when I called him back that he guessed Benjamin got his answer and didn't want to talk about it anymore!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

HAHAHAHAHA! He is such a character! I'm so glad you're keeping a record of these stories! Sounds like he's a speedy runner and a speed reader! The whole Bible in the time it took you to take a shower? Very impressive! LOL

StatCounter