Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Brown County

We took the kids to Brown County and went on a nice hike. Benjamin did really well and just trekked along right with us. He seemed to really enjoy himself too. He was particularly interested in "broken trees" and would point each one out and liked to look inside them....


Pointing out the bridge ahead.....


If you look back to a post from last year, you will see a picture similar to this one of Dave and Benjamin walking along (except this time Dave's carrying Anna too)!


Dave and Anna starting down the bridge. She did really good too and was happy the whole time and seemed to really enjoy going for "a ride" with her Daddy!


Benjamin posing on some of the steps of the bridge going down. If you can't see them, I highly recommend you click on these two pictures to enlarge them, so you can see my sons adorable dimples!!! :)



Sweet Anna!


Every once in awhile Benjamin would declare, "Mine running!" and he would take off!!!!


Anna has recently changed her smile from the big "O" open mouth smile, to moving her mouth out to normal smile. It's a pretty cute change! She would just look around as Dave carried her and when she'd look back and see me, she'd light up and give me this big smile as if she was delighted to have found me!


We had a really great time, but unfortunately the end wasn't so great. Benjamin kept rubbing his eye and saying, "Bug fly in mine eye." I checked it twice and didn't see anything, so I just assumed he was bothered by bugs flying around his eyes. The third time I looked though, I found it.....quite a big bug considering it proportionately to Benjamin's eye. He was so unbelievably brave and good and would let me "fish" around for it for a few seconds before pulling away, but the darn thing kept moving away each time until it went up into his upper eyelid and out of sight. I felt so bad, b/c by this time you could tell it was really hurting Benjamin's eye. We were on a path that goes down for a little over a mile to a lake and there were no benches around for us to lay him down and try and get it out, we had no idea how much farther we had to go so the only thing we could think of to do was to turn around and try to get him back to the car as soon as possible. My husband is crazy strong and was able to carry both kids so that we could run as fast as we could up hill and then up all those steps again. I have absolutely no idea how he did that! I barely made it running up hill on my own! Dave had us stop for a break at the bridge/steps to get a drink of water and Benjamin was starting to say, "owe" more and more and there was a bench in the middle of the stairs up. So I had Benjamin lay on it and thankfully the bug had moved back down and I was able to get it this time!!! Yea! I really cannot believe how brave my 2 year old was through all of this. I showed him the bug so he would know it was out and then put it on the steps we were on and told him it couldn't hurt him anymore and wouldn't get back in his eye. The poor kid told us probably 30 times that night, "Bug not in mine eye anymore. On steps. Not hurt me anymore." as if he was needing verification from us that it was true. But as soon as the bug was out, he walked the rest of the way and was just so good! We got him a "special treat", ice cream with M&Ms (a first for Benjamin), when we got back in town to award him for being so brave! Dave took this picture after the bug was out to prove how happy he was! Whew...what an ordeal!

StatCounter