Friday, February 23, 2007

A Very Bad Day

We had another first for Benjamin yesterday, except this is one we didn't want....it was his first trip to the emergency room. It was a pretty bad day for us. We woke up and Benjamin had a full blown cold and was needy and just wanted to be held and cuddle all day and wouldn't eat anything really. I went out and got him some cold medicine and we took a nap together and when we woke up he was feeling so much better. He was walking all over the house and I thought it might be fun for him to look out our storm door because he has enjoyed looking out the windows so much. So I opened the front door and he went right up to it and was looking out and then he put his left hand on the open door and immediately pulled it back and started crying. I was confused what was wrong so I touched the door and it was crazy hot. I held him and tried to comfort him but nothing made him feel better. He just held out his left hand and was shaking it and getting more upset. So I called the Dr.'s office and the nurse told me to have him play with cold water in the sink and if he blistered to take him to the ER because he would need to be seen and their office was about to close. So we played in the water for awhile and it seemed to be working. Then all of a sudden he just lost it and started screaming and nothing would calm him. I asked Dave to come home so we could take him to the hospital because his fingers were starting to blister and he was inconsolable at this point. While we were waiting for Dave, I saw Benjamin pointing to the kids playing outside so I thought I'd try taking him out. Thankfully that worked. It was freezing but for some reason being out there calmed him. We came back in and I got him to eat and drink something finally. By the time Dave came home all of his fingers were blistered, so we got in the car. Benjamin screamed the whole way there and while they were assessing him. He just has minor burns and the blisters are only on his fingers which is good. They said if his palm had blistered that would have been worse because it could hurt the development and movement of his hand. So they put bacitracin on it and wrapped it up and told us to give him Motrin and re-apply the ointment and the dressing for a couple of days and watch for infection. By the time we got home he was feeling much better and ate a good dinner and then had fun playing the rest of the night. Benjamin and I were exhausted but thankful that everything was ok. It is awful when your child is hurt and you can't fix it. Never in a million years would I have thought that our FRONT DOOR could burn my baby, but it did! Crazy! But he's doing just fine today and his cold even seems to be improving already. So we are going to take it easy today and hopefully have a much better day!!!!

Here's a picture when we first got home. Dave called this Benjamin's hook.


The dressing the nurse put on was so big and bulky that Benjamin eventually pulled it off, so this is the one I did and it has stayed on since, thankfully! He's doing so good with it. It kind of looks like a mitten!!!!


Cuddling on the couch after our long hard day together!


And finally it was time to sleep!!!!! To be completely honest with you, when Dave and I were ready to go to sleep I put him into bed with us because I just wanted to be near him and I was a little nervous about him pulling the dressing off and then choking on it. (Silly I know, but it had been a pretty stressful day and I was a little worried about my baby boy!)

No comments:

StatCounter