Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Tantrum

Benjamin will be 20 months old tomorrow. That seems very close to two for me, which seems crazy! As if to try and prove to me that he is in fact almost 2, Benjamin threw the biggest tantrum ever today. In total, I think it lasted almost 40 minutes. I was in the kitchen making him breakfast and he started demanding to be picked up. I told him no, that I had to finish making his food so he could eat. I finished and brought the food into the living room for him so he could eat his pancakes and watch cartoons (seems like a nice mommy to me) and things just got worse. He wouldn't stop crying (errr screaming) and everything I did seemed to make him madder. If I picked him up he wanted down, if I put the fork down in between bites he screamed louder, I didn't sit in the right place next to him, etc. After about 20 minutes of him doing this, I decided this was getting a tad ridiculous. I got up and sat in the rocking chair next to him. I continued to offer food and to let him sit in my lap. He just continued to scream, cry, and demand things. He would throw himself all around on the ground and when he needed a break, he would lie flat on the ground on his belly, face down that way he could take a break from crying but continue to show me how unhappy he was. You can see this in the picture below........ (he's naked by the way because I had taken his jammies off and he hadn't let me put his clothes on yet)



More screaming. After another 10 minutes or so and he continued to turn down all my offers, I decided to move to the couch. After he had a wriggled around on the floor and gotten closer to me, I finally decided to pick him up against his will and forced him to put his head down while I rubbed his back. He slowly calmed down and stopped screaming. After about 5 minutes of cuddling, he got down, walked over to his food and ate all of his pancakes by himself (which he's never done before) and acted like the past 40 minutes hadn't happened!



I called Dave during all this so he could hear Benjamin and he said that it was a good thing that I did, because he wouldn't have believed me otherwise on how big a fit he was throwing and screaming like he was. He's never done this before and I hope he doesn't again for a long time!!!!!

Because these photos aren't the easiest to see, I thought I'd end with something happier. Yesterday Benjamin fell asleep flat on his back in the living room in the middle of all his toys for the first time ever. I had asked him if he was ready for his nap (to go night, night) and usually once he's sleepy he agrees but he kept denying me, so I let him keep playing. Eventually, I guess he just got too tired! It was pretty funny and I wanted to take a picture, but couldn't find the camera. When Dave got home he remembered that he had left it outside (BIG oops!!!) and to make it up to me made Benjamin give me some good smiles for some pictures! Here's one of him upside down, smiling, hair all fluffed out! Much cuter than the ones above, don' t you think?!?!?!?!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes! And just think...pretty soon you'll have two! :-) If he ever throws a tantrum out here we'll just take him to the football field, give him a helmet and let him hit some of the tackling sleds!
He's still cute!
Love you!
Kelly

Unknown said...

Mom always thought that her children (me included) looked adorable when we were sobbing.....Benjamin looks so pitiful!!! I do believe I like the smiling pictures much much better!!! Can't wait until there are two children to take pictures of!!!

shots in the dark said...

Just some wonderful motherly encouragement...you have just experienced the tip of the iceberg. It's amazing to see your child that you know and love suddenly change into a completely different person for no apparent reason. I think it is times like these that we get a rare glimpse of how it must be for God watching his children. He wants so bad to help us, to console us during our times when we cannot not express with words what is wrong, and instead of hold tight to Him we push him away. It's times like these that we have a chance to know how God feels as he holds his weeping child, and pours out his unconditional love.
take care of yourself.
love
Jennifer omerso

StatCounter